Running a business has many challenges and one that you really can do without is interference from the animal kingdom. Depending on where you are located, there are different pests that can move in and make life miserable. If left unchecked, pests can cause extensive damage to buildings and equipment. Even in the major centres, trouble can arise. Education is the key. If you know what pests you are dealing with, you have a better chance to avoid creating the atmosphere that they seek. Here is a look at some of the more problematic Australian pests.
- Termites: It is very difficult to find a property that does not have termites nearby. These creatures are incredibly efficient and usually destructive. They can disguise their tunnels and take over extensive areas without being detected. Usually, termites are discovered when they have done enough damage that it can no longer be hidden, or when something collapses. The best approach to termites is to assume they are already there. And to do something proactive like treating the soil around your business. You can arrange pest control in Brisbane by SWAT Pest, or search the Internet for more information.
- Mice: Mice can get out of control very quickly. But they need the right conditions. They often get established in undeveloped commercial locations. The best way to keep the mouse population down is to make sure there are no accessible food sources. If you are in the food business, you can’t avoid having food available, but you should do everything you can to limit access. Consider setting traps, even if there is no mouse sign present.
- Cockroaches: Although they are not destructive in a structural sense, cockroaches are bad news for your business when your customers see them. They are an international symbol of poor hygiene. If you have roaches, get the professionals in right away.
- Bed Bugs: Landlords and hoteliers have a deep hatred of these little creatures; they can cause endless damage to a company’s reputation. Bed bugs are bad news, and they could have you destroying otherwise useful property, just to eliminate the threat. It is unclean humans that introduce the blight to an area, and there might not be anything you can do about that. But keeping a keen eye out for bed bugs, and insisting on cleanliness where you can, is the best practice.
- Wasps: Wasps are usually not much of a problem, unless you have people with allergies. But if they establish a nest at your business, it is best to deal with them as soon as possible. Pest control companies have experts who can eliminate wasp nests without injury to you or your customers.
Pest control is best done as prevention. Having a relationship with a pest control company is one way to keep ahead of the problem. Also, keep your properties clean and the outdoor areas trimmed down. Eliminate food sources and standing water. If the pests can’t find food or a place to reproduce, they will keep moving on. Pest prevention is good for your customers, and it will be good for your bottom line too.